Random Bits Of Me

EVERYTHING IN GENERAL AND NOTHING IN PARTICULAR
crochet-spinning-making-home decor-fiber art-every day stuff-antiques-sewing-food-pets-family-flea market finds-thrifting-doodling-journaling-books-nature-handmade-creative things-nothing-everything


Sunday, January 22, 2012

New Appreciation For Jewelry Designers

I've always had a love for handmade jewelry.
My all time favorite designer has to be Sharon Borsavage.
Over the past two years I've acquired quite a few beautiful pieces of jewelry designed and created by Sharon. 
 For some reason, I thought I might be able to make a few things for myself, so I bought a book and everything I needed to accomplish designing my own jewelry.
Well, guess what, it's not that easy.
After many attempts, several yards of wasted copper wire, four broken nails, a slight stabbing, a small burn, a headache from hammering wire and a lot of frustration, I finally accomplished a hook and eye for one necklace.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the time factor involved...I can't even guess how many hours were spent on this project.  And the cost is another matter. None of this stuff comes cheap.
 Don't get me wrong, when I say I accomplished this, it's nothing like the stuff Sharon makes. I could never sell these, but since I made them, I'm wearing them.

This is necklace number one.
There are absolutely no handmade parts on this piece that were made by me.
I did design it and put it all together, but the parts and pieces were all purchased from other people.
This amazing pendant was an Etsy purchase.
I used a wrapped  paper bead, a vintage piece of furniture hardware that's covered in white chippy paint, a few more beads, a copper hook and some chain.

Necklace number two includes the copper hook and eye that I created myself.

This one is made up of bits of broken rosary, stone and ceramic beads, some chain and a handmade pendant that I purchased.

Due to the injuries acquired making the hook and eye, I don't think I'll be trying to solder my own pendants any time soon.

I put together a few pair of earrings as well.
Nothing spectacular, but I like them.
I used a combination of vintage and new components for these.
I made my own ear wires for these last ones.

I now have a whole new appreciation for those people, like Sharon , who can create such beauty for the rest of us who aren't quite as talented.

See ya soon.
Karen

1 comment:

  1. Karen! All of your pieces are amazing! Even though you didn't make the pendants, your design sensibility is awesome....the combinations and the pieces you used make your jewelry beautiful...really! I adore each one, and the earrings are so romantic. You did a great job with the earwires and the clasp for someone who doesn't do this all the time. You make me laugh out loud with your injury list, you better rest and recover for now! Fantastic job my friend!!

    ReplyDelete