Random Bits Of Me

EVERYTHING IN GENERAL AND NOTHING IN PARTICULAR
crochet-spinning-making-home decor-fiber art-every day stuff-antiques-sewing-food-pets-family-flea market finds-thrifting-doodling-journaling-books-nature-handmade-creative things-nothing-everything


Friday, February 3, 2012

Creative Need

I became creative out of need.
I was hand sewing clothes for my dolls by age 5 and making a lot of my own clothes by age 12.
I couldn't afford the things I wanted , so the only way to have them was to be creative and make things for myself. My mother was my greatest  inspiration growing up, as well as my grandparents (my mom's parents). I remember my mom sewing things for me with an old treadle sewing machine, refinishing furniture and incorporating recycled materials into our home. My grandmother was an amazing fiber artist and my grandfather was always making something out of nothing.
Although life was kinda tough back then, I am grateful for that creative lifestyle that is with me still.
I don't think I would have this creative spark within me today if life would have been easy then and I can't imagine life without creativity.

I've come a long way and I no longer NEED to make the things I want.
Now, I want to.
My day doesn't feel complete if I haven't done something creative and if I create something by repurposing or recycling, that's even more satisfying.
I've made a few Valentine cards by recycling parts of old cards and scraps of pretty papers that I've saved.

And some card holders made from wire and repurposed shakers.

The bows were made from torn strips of recycled sheets.

I like these so much more than store bought ones.

Sometimes I wonder if I would have been creative if life had been easy.
How about you?
Karen

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Karen, what a clever use of the shakers! And why did I never think of tearing old sheets into strips to use as ties and bows?

    My mom and grandma used to make all my clothes, and I should have learned at their side, but I was too busy climbing trees and doing tricks on my bicycle. Now that I sew because I love it, I do wish they were still around to see how much they inspired me without ever knowing it.

    ReplyDelete