So, I decided to go ahead and use those crewel samples this morning rather than hoarding them away.
In my last post I mentioned that they were very dusty, so after I laundered them and they were dry, I cut out my favorite parts and pieces and machine stitched them in a random pattern onto some reclaimed muslin. (2 rectangles of the same size)
I added some machine stitched text,
and some vintage buttons.
After I had all the crewel and embellishments stitched onto the muslin, I then stitched the crewel covered muslin panels to a larger piece of purple linen from my fabric stash. One to the left and the other to the right on the purple linen, creating a front and a back to the folder.( so the panels are side by side on the purple linen)
I made a little flap and added a super sized snap.
Next I cut a piece of quilt batting and another piece of muslin the same size as the purple linen. I sandwiched the batting between the linen and the muslin and layered on a smaller piece of muslin for pockets before stitching them all together.
There it is. A completed folder.
It's just right for holding my reclaimed packing paper that I've been using for my doodles.
Here it is all loaded with paper and snapped shut.
All finished and no hoarding of materials.