Random Bits Of Me

EVERYTHING IN GENERAL AND NOTHING IN PARTICULAR
crochet-spinning-making-home decor-fiber art-every day stuff-antiques-sewing-food-pets-family-flea market finds-thrifting-doodling-journaling-books-nature-handmade-creative things-nothing-everything


Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Monastery Bell

Wake up everybody.
The sun is shining!

Today I want to share with you something that my husband brought home for me last week.
It was supposed to be a surprise for my birthday, but I caught him sneaking in the house with it and I just couldn't wait.

I did a little research on it and found out that it is a European bell that hung in the hallway of a monastery.

It's made of brass and this one has a lot of patina.

It was used to wake the nuns or monks and also to signal certain prayer times.

It has a really great gongy sound.

It's so unusual and the history behind it is fascinating to me.

Now I just need to find the perfect place to hang it.

What's the most unusual thing you've found lately?

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment